Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Review: The Burbs

This is a better movie than I remember. I can't remember the last time I actually watched it, but it was pretty close to 1989. I don't think I really got the dark humor and the small comedic bits seemingly improvised by Rick Ducommun (Art) back when I first saw it. I think maybe I was a moron back then because they're glaringly obvious now and might even qualify as genius (the dark tone as well as Art's improv).

You might be able to argue that The Burbs doesn't really qualify as an Obscure Movie because of all the big name stars and the initial publicity the film received, but it did really dismal business at the box office and most of the people of the world haven't watched it (though they may still be aware of it on some level).

I accept it as an Obscure Movie because it has what qualifies as a "cult following" and any time you have a cult following you, it's a good thing. Right?

2 comments:

ctpreda said...

One of my favorite, off-beat Tom Hanks' films from the 80s.

Quality Jones said...

He did another really great offbeat film back then - Joe vs The Volcano. Really dark and slightly left of center just like this one.